Welcome, Guest!

Register now and join in with other ARMYs! If you have trouble with the validation email please use the Contact Us form to send a message to the admin and we'll manually validate you account! If you have any problems with that form then you can send an email to bangtanbaseforum@gmail.com. We hope you to see you soon!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dorkprincess

How BTS use honorifics with each other

The post is really long lol, here's the link to the original post ^^

Spoiler

I watched countless BTS content from the beginning to time til now (Post BST era. 1/26/17) to gather as much references as I could for the way that BTS refers to each other,  both in a formal setting, as well as in some less formal settings (such as bombs, behind the scenes, and in fancams too. everything I could find.)  

I’ve come up with a what I would hope is an accurate record because I spent a lot of time searching for this information. This will be long because it features what every member calls each other member, so that’s roughly 49 connections, and they’re in detail, so here I go: (also note my Korean isn’t perfect but I’m learning and I know enough to get by in this case.)

I worked so hard on this omg.

Jin:

Jin is polite but also very friendly and fun–loving when it comes to his members. He’s neither too polite nor is he impolite. He isn’t necessarily formal, he’s almost never formal unless it’s a formal setting, but he is gently commanding. He seems to take his role as Hyung seriously, even though he’s a big dork and is actually the maknae of hs own family.

Jin → Yoongi: 

Most Commonly: Yoongi-yah (윤기야). Jin seems to mostly refer to Yoongi as Yoongi-yah, even off camera or in less formal occasions. Occasionally during interviews he’ll just call him friend/chingu (친구).

Jin → Hoseok:

Most Commonly: Hoseok-ah (호석아) or Hope-ah (홉아). Jin tends to stick to calling Hoseok Hoseok-ah during bombs and during interviews. During the more casual times Jin might occasionally call Hoseok as Hope-ah, though it’s slightly less common.

Jin → Namjoon:

Most Commonly: Namjoon-ah (남준아), usually he just calls Namjoon Namjoon-ah when there’s a camera around and it seems the most natural thing for him. Occasionally he’ll say Joon-ah (준아) as well.

Jin → Jimin:

Most Commonly: Jin tends to speak rather fondly and cutely towards Jimin. Jimin-ah (지민) is common, because Jin is also very polite even as their Hyung, but he often says Jiminie (지민이) as well, during bomb and casual meetings. 

Jin → Taehyung:

Most commonly: Tae (태), TaeTae (태태), Taehyung-ah (태형아). When it comes to all 3 maknaes, Jin speaks very cutely/affectionately towards them. The way he refers to Taehyung changes from day to day tbh. 

Jin → Jeongguk:

Most Commonly: JK, Jeongguk-ah (정국아). Jin tends to refer to Jeongguk as JK (the initials of his stage name) very commonly when they aren’t in a professional setting (like an interview or other things like that. This developed in recent years. At times he just calls Jeongguk maknae (막내) since he’s their youngest, but in general, he refers to him as Jeongguk-ah.

Yoongi:

Yoongi speaks quietly and politely most of the time. He speaks very thoughtfully and he’s very respectful when speaking to ARMYS. When speaking to his members he always seems to be very loving and respecting. He loves them all as much or more as his family after all, as we know.

Yoongi  Jin:

Most commonly: Jin-hyung (진형) or sometimes just Hyung (형). The only member who is older than Yoongi is Jin, so if you ever hear Yoongi say Hyung he’s talking to Jin. Otherwise he tends to call Jin as Jin-hyung.

Yoongi → Hoseok:

Most Commonly: Yoongi has lots of things he calls Hoseok. Most commonly are Hoseok-ah (호석아) and Hope-ah (홉아) . They seem to be very close and laugh with each other like same aged friends. He calls Hoseok Hope-ah a lot, more so than Jin calls him Hope-ah in fact.

Less Commonly: Less commonly Yoongi has been known to call Hoseok as Seokseok-ah (석석아)and Seok-ah (석아). Generally I think this is a slip up that he doesn’t really mean to call Hoseok when cameras are around, because it’s rather informal and very cute. It’s been known to happen a few times here and there, and from all the videos I’ve ever watched gathering this information, Hoseok is the only one with nicknames like this from Yoongi.

Yoongi → Namjoon:

Most Commonly: Mostly, Yoongi tends to call Namjoon Namjoon-ah (남준아). Occasionally he will also call Namjoon as Joon-ah (준아) in the right setting, or especially if he’s sleepy.

Yoongi  Jimin:

Most Commonly: Usually Yoongi calls him Jimin-ah (지민아), though he says this rather softly and his mannerisms are always soft as well. He’s been known to call Jimin as Jiminie (지민이) from time to time though it’s somewhat rare especially in more formal settings.

Yoongi → Taehyung:

Most Commonly: Taehyung-ah (태형아). (He speaks in Satoori to Taehyung from time to time as well, they both share Daegu dialect and sometimes when Tae uses satoori or accidentally fumbles a word choice, Yoongi always ‘translates’ it for him.) He also sometimes just rather simply calls Taehyung as Tae (태). 

Yoongi → Jeongguk:

Most Commonly: Yoongi tends to speak softly to Jeongguk as well, though he rarely calls Jeongguk by much other than Jeongguk-ah (정국아) or Maknae (막내).

Hoseok:

Hoseok speaks very friendly and lovingly to just about everyone. He also likes to speak cutely and warmly.

Hoseok  Jin:

Most Commonly: Jin-Hyung (진형). Hoseok speaks cutely to Jin a lot as well, and the two of them like to joke around a lot.

Hoseok → Yoongi:

Most Commonly: Yoongi-Hyung (윤기형). It’s that or Hyung (형) directly if they’re alone. I’ve only seen him slip up and use full-on banmal towards Yoongi a few times, but it’s enough to suggest that they almost certainly speak in banmal (informal speech) to each other when the cameras are off. (the few times he slipped up or did so jokingly, he just called Yoongi as Yoongi-yah. (윤기야) )

Hoseok → Namjoon:

Most Commonly: Considering that they’re same-aged friends, these two often speak to each other in banmal/casually. Usually it’s Namjoon-ah (남준아) or Joon-ah (준아), though sometimes Hoseok calls him Leader. I’ve seen him call Namjoon just Namjoon/Joon (남준/ 준)as well. 

Hoseok → Jimin:

Most Commonly: Oh man Hoseok loves to speak cutely to Jimin in particular. He speaks cutely/affectionately towards all of the maknaes and is close to them, but Jimin really gets a LOT of Hoseok’s honey so to speak. Jiminie (지민이) and Jimin-ah (지민아) are common. 

Less Commonly: Minnie (민이). Hoseok is one of the few who still uses Jimin’s nickname Minnie from time to time. It’s less common these days and when cameras are in their face but Hoseok likes to speak this way.

Hoseok  Taehyung:

Most Commonly: He likes to tease Taehyung tbh. Taehyungie (태형이) , Taehyung-ah (태형아) and TaeTae (태태) are common. These two seem very close to each other, though they don’t always interact when they do it’s very affectionate. 

Hoseok → Jeongguk:

Most Commonly: Hoseok and Jeongguk have always been close and their relationship seems to support this, from their mannerisms to the way they talk to each other it’s very close-seeming. Jeongguk-ah (정국아) and Jeonggukie (정국이)  are common. Hoseok is also one of the few members who often refers to Jeongguk as Guk-ah (국아).

Namjoon:

Tends to speak very politely and respectfully even to younger members (tho not formally to them, more like just very considerately and gently).

Namjoon  Jin: 

Most Commonly: Jin-Hyung (진형). He seems to have a lot of tangible respect towards Jin though, not the kind that comes with distance and informality, just genuine respect. He speaks politely without being distant about it.

Namjoon  Yoongi:

Most Commonly: Yoongi-Hyung (윤기형) . Usually he calls Yoongi simply that, but I’ve seen a few moments where he called Yoongi informally, Yoongi-yah. (윤기야), so it’s probably that they speak informally behind the cameras. 

Namjoon  Hoseok:

Most Commonly: These two speak casually to each other often. When it comes to Hoseok, mostly Namjoon calls him as Hoseok-ah (호석아) and just Hope (홉) .   

Namjoon  Jimin:

Most Commonly: Namjoon seems rather enamored with Jimin tbh. He speaks affectionately quite often, especially when referring to Jimin/speaking about Jimin in an interview etc. He calls Jimin; Jimin-ah (지민아) and Jiminie (지민이) mostly.

Less Commonly: Like Hoseok, Namjoon still calls Jimin Minnie (민이) from time to time, though it isn’t as common as the other two names.

Namjoon  Taehyung: 

Most Commonly: Namjoon once said on ASC that Taehyung was the friend he looks after the most closely and I do think this shows when they get together, though it seems rare especially these days. Thye tend to stay separate on camera, but when they speak Namjoon seems caring and fond. He usually refers to Taehyung as Taehyung-ah (태형아) and Tae (태).

Namjoon  Jeongguk:

Most Commonly: Jeongguk-ah (정국아) and Jeonggukie (정국이) occasionally as well. Namjoon speaks very much like a Hyung when he talks to Jeongguk.

Jimin: 

It should be noted that Jimin speaks the most formally/politely/sweetly out of every member. He’s extremely well mannered and respectful, he’s soft spoken when he speaks and rarely speak over people. Even when he’s being a troublemaker with the other Maknaes he still manages to remain very soft spoken and often times, is still well mannered even then.

Jimin  Jin:

Most Commonly: Jin-Hyung (진형). Usually Jimin calls Jin affectionately but politely, just Jin-hyung. Occasionally he jokes and calls Jin Mom (엄마). He’s the most common member to call upon the Jin is Mom joke.

Jimin  Yoongi:

Most Commonly: Yoongi-Hyung (윤기형) . He’s really supportive and cute towards Yoongi. He remains respectful but not distant, and he often speaks very softly towards Yoongi. These two seem to speak closely to one another while maintaining a polite dynamic (this is probably because they’re on camera together more often than not).

Jimin  Hoseok: 

Most Commonly: Hoseok-Hyung (호석형), Hoseokie-Hyung (호석이형). He seems incredibly close to Hoseok, these two joke around with each other often and like to be cute and close with each other. They speak like very close friends and act like teasing boyfriends tbqh there’s honestly almost no other way to put it.

Jimin  Namjoon: 

Most Commonly: Namjoon-Hyung (남준형). Sometimes, Jimin also calls Namjoon as Monnie (몬이) or Monnie-hyung (몬이형). This is a cute way to shorten Monster(from his stage name) and Jimin is one of the few members I’ve ever seen actively call him this.

Jimin → Taehyung:

Most Commonly: Jimin and Taehyung are very close, both in age and their relationship as well. They speak very familiarly and casually with each other and in my humble opinion, boast one of if not the closest relationship in all of bangtan. He calls Taehyung many names, but most commonly are probably: Taehyung-ah (태형아) and TaeTae (태태) . 

Jimin  Jeongguk:

Most Commonly: these two are lowkey all over the place in the way they speak to each other. Sometimes politely, sometimes teasingly, sometimes even informally, despite the age difference. I think it’s likely that they speak informally to one another when not on camera, and it just slips from time to time. Jimin tends to call Jeongguk all manner of names, and he’s very CUTE when speaking to Jeongguk. (there’s a saying that’s like, gaze dripping with honey, that is Jimin @ Jeonguk tbh.) Usually refers to Jeongguk as: Jeongguk-ah (정국아) and Jeonggukie (정국이).

Taehyung:

Taehyung speaks very…oddly. His mannerisms and way of speaking is very stand out compared to a lot of idols. 

Taehyung → Jin:

Most Commonly: Jin-Hyung (진형). Usually these two like to joke around and play around together. They act more like same-aged friends than Hyung and Dongsaeng imo.

Taehyung  Yoongi:

Most Commonly: Yoongi-Hyung (윤기형). These two Daegu boys seem to have a very nice relationship, though it doesn’t seem exceptionally close they do seem to get each other and understand each other well. Taehyung refers to Yoongi as Yoongi-Hyung most of the time, and it’s almost always with a smile.

Taehyung → Hoseok:

Most Commonly: Taehyung speaks to Hoseok in a very affectionate and cute way. He seems genuinely enchanted by Hoseok’s every single action or word. He seems to genuinely love Hoseok tbh. Hoseokie-Hyung (호석이형) and Hyungie (형이) are things he calls Hoseok often, and Hoseok-Hyung (호석형) as well.

Taehyung  Namjoon:

Most Commonly: Namjoon-Hyung (남준형). I’ve heard him call Namjoon as Joon-Hyung (준형) a handful of times as well. 

Taehyung  Jimin:

Most Commonly: These two speak so lovingly and closely/casually that I want to scream. Usually it’s Jiminie (지민이) and Jimin-ah (지민아).

Taehyung → Jeongguk:

Most Commonly: The classic Jeongguk-ah (정국아) and Jeonggukie (정국이). He also sometimes refers to Jeongguk as Gukkie (국이). These two speak like they’re very close to one another.

Jeongguk:

Jeongguk is a little shit tbqh. He often speaks in short informal bursts, or in half-formality. Like beginning a sentence formally, but turning to banmal a few words later. He also tends to just speak vaguely when it comes to Hyungs; ex.) Just calling out ‘Hyung’ (형) into the room full of his Hyungs, rather than specifying which Hyung he’s calling for (ie calling out Hoseok-Hyung (호석형)). (Don’t mistake this for him being impolite however, while he does act impolite it’s in an extremely teasing and playful way, he’s not actually impolite, he’s just wild tbh. He’s quite a well spoken boy when he wants to and needs to be.)

Jeongguk → Jin:

Most Commonly: Jin-Hyung (진형). He does tend to bully Jin and act like Jin isn’t his Hyung, though he does this playfully, never disrespectfully. Jeongguk is a polite boy even though he’s a shithead.

Jeongguk → Yoongi:

Most Commonly: Yoongi-Hyung (윤기형). If there’s one member that Jeongguk will be polite to and not act up around it’s Yoongi. Yoongi seems to bring out the best and more behaved versions of Jeongguk.

Jeongguk → Hoseok:

Most Commonly: Hoseok-Hyung (호석형) Jeongguk loves to play around with Hoseok and they tease each other often. Jeongguk seems to like playing with Hoseok. Hyungie (형이) is another I’ve heard him call Hoseok.

Jeongguk → Namjoon:

Most Commonly: Namjoon-Hyung (남준형). He is mostly respectful of Namjoon, somewhat like Yoongi. I think this might partially be because Namjoon doesn’t play with him as much as he might like. He doesn’t play around much and mostly always refers to him as Namjoon-Hyung or just Hyung.

Jeongguk → Jimin:

Most Commonly:  He usually refers to Jimin as Jimin-Hyung (지민형), Hyung or occasionally, I hear him slip up and call Jimin as Jimin-ah (지민아). Sometimes he uses Banmal with Jimin as a joke but other times it’s genuine. He also tends to speak informally to Jimin more commonly than most other members (except maybe for Taehyung.)  

Jeongguk → Taehyung:

Most Commonly: TaeTae (태태) is the most common, though he also calls Taehyung by:  Taehyung-ah (태형아), Taehyung-Hyung (태형형)  occasionally, and just Hyung of course. 

This is really interesting to read as a non-native Korean speaker ~

20 minutes ago, dorkprincess said:

He also tends to just speak vaguely when it comes to Hyungs; ex.) Just calling out ‘Hyung’ (형) into the room full of his Hyungs, rather than specifying which Hyung he’s calling for (ie calling out Hoseok-Hyung (호석형))

remembers that time when sopemme were singing and 'screaming', he called out hyung and both yoongi and hobie turned towards to him instantly lovingly

i think this was really interesting, together with all the other ones we've read about them speaking and how they are. i lowkey love jin being able to be authorative and still be maknae-like. 

2 hours ago, blueyart said:

remembers that time when sopemme were singing and 'screaming', he called out hyung and both yoongi and hobie turned towards to him instantly lovingly

this lmao, I'm thinking it's become some kind of running joke tbvh

Jungkook is a polite little shit confirmed. Reading his bits was a wild ride and a half.

Jimin ever the sweet fairy he is though.

All these lowkey hints at how they're like off-camera doesn't even surprise me, they're like one of the groups who genuinely probably are closer offscreen than they do in front of cameras, and that never fails to amaze me. I don't doubt they have disagreements and all those stuff, but they seem like the type to work it out than let it sit and fake joviality, you know?

4 hours ago, dorkprincess said:

Sometimes, Jimin also calls Namjoon as Monnie (몬이) or Monnie-hyung (몬이형). This is a cute way to shorten Monster(from his stage name) and Jimin is one of the few members I’ve ever seen actively call him this.

such a cute nickname for Namjoon, I also remember Jimin saying he had him saved as Monnie-hyung in his phone and Namjoon said he liked it 
they're so cute C1gEQySWEAAC341.jpg

This is ridiculously adorable. Thanks for sharing! It's 2am right now and I'm drunk on Cypher vibes (yes I listened to Cyphers while I write my essay) so i dont know if anything i write makes sense anymore.

My Taegi-loving heart is pounding:

5 hours ago, dorkprincess said:

Yoongi → Taehyung:

Most Commonly: Taehyung-ah (태형아). (He speaks in Satoori to Taehyung from time to time as well, they both share Daegu dialect and sometimes when Tae uses satoori or accidentally fumbles a word choice, Yoongi always ‘translates’ it for him.) He also sometimes just rather simply calls Taehyung as Tae (태). 

5 hours ago, dorkprincess said:

Taehyung  Yoongi:

Most Commonly: Yoongi-Hyung (윤기형). These two Daegu boys seem to have a very nice relationship, though it doesn’t seem exceptionally close they do seem to get each other and understand each other well. Taehyung refers to Yoongi as Yoongi-Hyung most of the time, and it’s almost always with a smile.

:jimin1: :jimin1: :jimin1: 

That rap line hint :v1: 

14 hours ago, dorkprincess said:

Namjoon:

Most Commonly: Yoongi-Hyung (윤기형) . Usually he calls Yoongi simply that, but I’ve seen a few moments where he called Yoongi informally, Yoongi-yah. (윤기야), so it’s probably that they speak informally behind the cameras. 

If someone have a video where THIS   happens please link it to me, i need it in my life.

Thank you for sharing, it's really interesting read for people like me who doesn't know Korean that well. I was always wondering if I'm right about them being really close with each other and this post confirmed that to me.

17 hours ago, blueyart said:

4 hours ago, -Mochi- said:

Thank you for sharing, it's really interesting read for people like me who doesn't know Korean that well. I was always wondering if I'm right about them being really close with each other and this post confirmed that to me.

i had a hard time deciding which to focus on, your display gif of kookie or the vine. you killed me

4 minutes ago, blueyart said:

i had a hard time deciding which to focus on, your display gif of kookie or the vine. you killed me

My own avatar makes me suffer but I regret nothing. :jungkook2:

Thank you for sharing this! I'm always interested in these types of things. BTS relationship and dynamic as group is one of the main reasons why I stan.

On OH a K-army posted this too

Post by chipchaps

Stumbled across this while lurking, and just wanted to mention one little mishap regarding it haha,, since it's kind of important to Korean culture/language as a whole. None of the boys naturally(?) calls an older member without the honorific -hyung. Even off camera (or especially off camera). No one in Korea does that! no matter how close they are, or even if they use Banmal with each other. You can use Banmal to an older person if you're close with them, but you would still have to call them Hyung/Oppa/Unnie/Noona. 
Spoiler 

Edit - Just adding a disclaimer: I said no one does that in Korea, but there are obviously some people that do haha. Only somewhat culturally-accepted(?) instance I can think of is in romantic relationships where a younger male wants to seem tough or older than their partner. Some noona's have a kink for that kind of stuff  so they could find it hot rather than disrespectful loll. It's still not that common though. Personally find it kinda fuccboi-ish loll

So it's not really a slip up when a younger member calls an older member informally (e.g Jhope calling Suga "yoongi-yah", "min yoongi", or "yah"), They're doing it on purpose in a jokingly manner, which I'm sure you can tell by the older member's reaction when they hear a younger member calling them informally loll (like Yoongi calling the world cruel because Jhope called him "Min Yoongi" during the Epilouge teaser making, or his reaction when Jhope called him "yoongi-yah" during the prolouge making). No matter how close you are it's considered highly disrespectful to (pretty much looking down on) the older person if you're calling them like that seriously.

If it actually were natural slip ups that would be kind of a problem, since rather than showing closeness, it could actually indicate animosity between those two people. Or at least (for the yoonseok example) indicate Jhope having animosity towards Suga haha. 

So just using yoonseok as an example again, Jhope occasionally calling Suga "yoongi-yah" isnt a really good indicator that they probably use Banmal with eachother off camera, since him calling Suga "yoongi-yah" is purposely done as a joke in the first place (again, not natural/serious slip ups). Jhope would still be calling him "hyung" even if they spoke Banmal off camera. You'd have to listen to a full conversation between them in a more natural setting to try and make a guess abt the Banmal stuff haha. The closest we got for Yoonseok are their kakaotalk screencaps lol but even there, Jhope uses Ban-Jondae (half-half) so it's kinda hard to tell. Ooor most likely, it just means Jhope uses Ban-Jondae w/ Suga in general off camera haha.

edit: Also, I made this post mainly because of their [Rapmon -> Suga] section haha. Not sure why I used yoonseok for all the examples lol;;