• Announcements

    • jin

      Donate~   07/11/2017

      Donate to support Bangtan Base and help offset the costs of running a forum! Benefits for donators are listed out here.

Welcome, Guest!

Sign up now and join in on all the BTS fun! If you have trouble registering, send us an email at [email protected]
BiniJungkook

other
Universal Music Group (UMG) blocking fan videos of Blood Sweat & Tears on Youtube

17 posts in this topic

Since yesterday, my friends were talking about how some fan videos (including but not limited to : reaction videos, dance cover videos, fan lyrics videos etc) of BTS' Blood Sweat & Tears on Youtube are taken down by Universal Music Group (UMG)... some are still there, but quite a few have been taken down by Youtube..

what i am confused is, does the japanese label have the rights also on the korean version of BST? how does this work, actually? since i'm not a law student or anything, this really is beyond my understanding... because from what i can understand, UMG is in charge of the Japanese side of BTS promotions and stuff, right? they have nothing to do with the korean promotion and stuff, right?

this really confuses me and worry me.. because if they do have a right to control the korean release and stuff, this will end BTS in a way... tbh, the reason why me and a lot of my friends ditch japanese music is because of the crazy blocking on youtube.. you can't even get a live performance of your fave on youtube.. let alone any talk show (not the english subbed ones) or funny cuts which is what keep the fans' interest... in a way, this will work against BTS because whether we like it or not, it can't be denied that the reason BTS got this far is from the help of SNS especially Youtube.. we may hate or love the reactors, but they helped promote BTS in a way and reaches a wider audience.. if it's being taken away, well, let's just say that's why jpop never quite reached the level of kpop's popularity...

p/s : I hope i posted in the right section... 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems to be Universal overstepping their bounds like they're known for doing. I'm fairly sure it'll get straightened out soon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope it will get straightened out soon.. because they're basically undoing all the achievements BTS had managed to achieved so far... if they do not have a right over the korean version of BST and they're overstepping the boundary, whoever made that "clever" decision to take down those Youtube videos should get a pay cut or something...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was squinting at this news. It's not that shocking it's just more annoying and frustrating. I hope it gets settled quickly. I'm a little salty tho, there's SO much music I can't enjoy bc they block it all :unimpressedmoni:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is one of the ways that the Japanese entertainment industry is failing to keep up with the rest of the world. They think that by blocking everything they'll somehow make more money, but fail to realize how manny more fans can be gained from things like this. The Hello! Project is becoming more leniant... but on the other hand all the 48 and 46 groups music videos are blocked outside of Japan. How exactly is someone supposed to know if they like an artist and want to support them if they have no ability to engage with the material?

Anyway, there is my little rant. If this is happening recently i wonder if it has to do with the release of the Japanese version of BST? In any case Universal needs to chill, cover vids and reactions and such are iann intergral part of kpop fandom by now, especially overseas. I may not watch it, but I first got into kpop because i liked a dance cover of a wonder girls song. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MissRight said:

It is one of the ways that the Japanese entertainment industry is failing to keep up with the rest of the world. They think that by blocking everything they'll somehow make more money, but fail to realize how manny more fans can be gained from things like this. The Hello! Project is becoming more leniant... but on the other hand all the 48 and 46 groups music videos are blocked outside of Japan. How exactly is someone supposed to know if they like an artist and want to support them if they have no ability to engage with the material?

Anyway, there is my little rant. If this is happening recently i wonder if it has to do with the release of the Japanese version of BST? In any case Universal needs to chill, cover vids and reactions and such are iann intergral part of kpop fandom by now, especially overseas. I may not watch it, but I first got into kpop because i liked a dance cover of a wonder girls song. 

sis/bro, i know how you feel! i've lost interest with the H!P stuff since years ago, but the other japanese groups that i DO used to like all had their stuff blocked like crazy on youtube.. it was hard to even get subbed talk shows of them and the trackers being taken down etc.. it's just so freaking crazy.. how do they expect us to promote our faves when i can't show them funny clips of my faves on my phone.. it's such a hassle to download the videos (not enough disc space problem etc) so ppl prefer to stream online nowadays... that's one of the reason that i lost interest in japanese music.. local TV don't even have japanese shows as much (compare to before) so where do we find our source? it's like the japanese entertainment is cut off from the rest of the world and only cater to japanese ppl.. not to mentioned how japanese cds/dvds/etc are much more expensive than others...

i really hope UMG don't try to control all Korean releases.. because it would suck if they do and i worry this will be the end of BTS.. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, I've thought about this topic before in the vein of why Kpop is so successful and it's accessibility online where people can view, discuss, and spread the word. That's how it's become a worldwide phenomenon and definitely BTS is a huge example of this. People will buy and support things they love. Meanwhile Jpop is a lot harder to access where things are geoblocked, taken down, or truncated. The fans could individually fight the claims in the cases with the Youtube videos and they might win, but it's best if BigHit sorts this out with Universal, because this playbook is not great for either the fans or BTS.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BiniJungkook said:

sis/bro, i know how you feel! i've lost interest with the H!P stuff since years ago, but the other japanese groups that i DO used to like all had their stuff blocked like crazy on youtube.. it was hard to even get subbed talk shows of them and the trackers being taken down etc.. it's just so freaking crazy.. how do they expect us to promote our faves when i can't show them funny clips of my faves on my phone.. it's such a hassle to download the videos (not enough disc space problem etc) so ppl prefer to stream online nowadays... that's one of the reason that i lost interest in japanese music.. local TV don't even have japanese shows as much (compare to before) so where do we find our source? it's like the japanese entertainment is cut off from the rest of the world and only cater to japanese ppl.. not to mentioned how japanese cds/dvds/etc are much more expensive than others...

i really hope UMG don't try to control all Korean releases.. because it would suck if they do and i worry this will be the end of BTS.. 

 

Off-topic, but man i promise H!P is worth getting back into, they've had some great freaking releases lately, but C-ute is disbanding now so I wanna cry... 

anywayyyy

Part of it is that Japanese companies, or some of them, don't really care much for their foregin fanbases. As long as they make money from their main audiences that is enough. But like i don't get why they'd want to not make more money? 

Like I get not wanting to have full concerts posted,but a performance of a song that the group is currently promoting? somebody could find that and decide they want to support them...

Then there is the main chart, oricon which stopped counting foreign sales years ago. Like why? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we take this issue to bighit because this company is taking down creator's content. Maybe type the message of twitter or something. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, MissRight said:

Off-topic, but man i promise H!P is worth getting back into, they've had some great freaking releases lately, but C-ute is disbanding now so I wanna cry... 

anywayyyy

Part of it is that Japanese companies, or some of them, don't really care much for their foregin fanbases. As long as they make money from their main audiences that is enough. But like i don't get why they'd want to not make more money? 

Like I get not wanting to have full concerts posted,but a performance of a song that the group is currently promoting? somebody could find that and decide they want to support them...

Then there is the main chart, oricon which stopped counting foreign sales years ago. Like why? 

 

i pretty much abandoned H!P when the older gens all had graduated.. last one i stayed for was Mishichige after that i stopped supporting any more H!P stuff at all..

that's why i snort at their poor attempt of "Cool Japan" campaign.. the only good thing that came out of it is i can travel to BTS concert in Japan without applying for Visa... other than that, the campaign is a complete failure imo.. they're definitely not getting more popular than Kpop..

1 hour ago, Stepkdramafan226 said:

Can we take this issue to bighit because this company is taking down creator's content. Maybe type the message of twitter or something. 

i would like to bring this issue up to BH, but don't know the right way of doing it.. i don't know if it's good idea for everyone to complain at BH directly on twitter? or if emailing them is a better way to do it? should everyone complain to BH or just the ppl who had their videos taken down complain to BH? 

Edited by BiniJungkook
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to lash out here so I'm just gonna say that yes, Bighit needs to be let known of the situation and hope we can hear further updates on this issue!  Fan creators are the victims here and I'm afraid it will effect BTS in any way :/ 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Mongmungi said:

I don't want to lash out here so I'm just gonna say that yes, Bighit needs to be let known of the situation and hope we can hear further updates on this issue!  Fan creators are the victims here and I'm afraid it will effect BTS in any way :/ 

lash out? i think fans are all confused/angry/worried or a combination of all 3... i think i would understand how you feel.. or at least to a certain degree.. i'm also trying to tone down my own comments not to sound too angry or whatever...

 

p/s:i just look at my DP to calm down... munching bunny-kook is such a stress-reliever...

Edited by BiniJungkook
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i figured the blocking would only temporary. some reaction videos have been unblocked again~

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the first time something like this has happened so I'm not going to get riled up quite just yet, but I do sincerely hope it gets sorted out soon. Otherwise...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's annoying but (more) understandable (than reactions, covers etc.) is they've blocked mirrored versions (just as I was learning the dance may I add) , I'm just suprised I hasn't happened sooner (unless I'm missing something) and I really hope big hit has plans to fix it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weirdest thing is, they are in charge of the Japanese promotions but they even blocked the Korean stuff as if they wholly owned BTS, not just their Japanese promotions... this is the bit that confuses me and i can somewhat understand fans' anger regarding this matter..

what's next? they're going to go after fansites who uses BTS photos too? Youtube may be only the start, and if things accelerate, it can involves a lot more if UMG thinks they own BTS and anything related to the artist... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2017 at 11:19 AM, River said:

What's annoying but (more) understandable (than reactions, covers etc.) is they've blocked mirrored versions (just as I was learning the dance may I add) , I'm just suprised I hasn't happened sooner (unless I'm missing something) and I really hope big hit has plans to fix it.

Mirrored version has gone back up, so hopefully this is the start of things being unblocked.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now