• Announcements

• jin

Donate~   07/11/2017

Donate to support Bangtan Base and help offset the costs of running a forum! Benefits for donators are listed out here.

Welcome, Guest!

Sign up now and join in on all the BTS fun! If you have trouble registering, send us an email at [email protected]
namjoon.rm

appreciation
Songwriter Kim Namjoon

13 posts in this topic

Let's make a appreciation post on Mr Kim's lyrics :rapmon4:

(I'm sorry if I made any grammatical errors or used the wrong vocabulary or sentences don't really make sense as English is not my first language...)

:rapmon3: 

(All the English lyrics are from genius.com)

Edited by namjoon.rm

RM & Wale - Change

General comment: This is a collaboration song of Kim Namjoon and Wale which criticizes the social issues in 21st century world. They preach for these issues to be solved and people related in these issues to change their mindset.

giphy.gif.b350a5a63480409e9eff17c2f9e56251.gif

Namjoon criticizes the educational system (specifically in South Korea) which only knows how to put the pressure on the students. Teachers don't teach properly in school but only give the students endless homework which suffers the students a lot. 'Divided spaces' in my understanding is the gap and sometimes miscommunication between the teachers and students. 'Visible classes' means the class level which divides the teacher and student. When students meet trouble they can't really get any help from the teacher.

So Namjoon complains that 'fuck the school', and wishes this could change.

Namjoon here criticizes the cyber bullying which occurs on the internet all the time and it's unavoidable. Because the internet/social media provides the facial/identity anonymity which could avoid trouble on the attackers in real life, the bullies can attack people intentionally with the worst words. Cyber bullying has serious impacts on young netizens as they haven't grown up psychologically, such attack online could possibly lead to self-harm and even death.

"More than a gun" could also refer to the twitter death threat incident which led to the cancellation of hi-touch event in New York. Namjoon here criticizes the serious effects of cyber bullying which are terrifying to everyone. He wishes this could change.

Namjoon indicates the reality of men being violent nowadays just to show how 'manly' they are and he doesn't want this to become a stereotype for his and others' sons. This might also refer to the domestic violence, in this case South Korea is an infamous country of male dominant society, male children have been taught to be stronger than girls when they are young. Namjoon doesn't want this to happen in case their descendants observe the wrong idea. He genuinely wants to stop the domestic violence. He wants the world to change.

23912ab6e371e5d545f661d7bcdddfa028a05a2c_hq.gif.077cb5a28285784df2a8a27a3d7d5ad8.gif

Edited by namjoon.rm

RM & Jin & Suga - School of Tears

General comment: One of the pre-debut tracks written by Rap Monster and Suga and performed by Rap Monster, Jin and Suga. This song criticizes the dark side of the school which is bullying. It's rare in kpop society to have voice on this issue. They wish everyone could pay attention to bully in school by this song.

sot1.gif.c973fdeeb4c4186f42240d4aabe1d73e.gif

Namjoon and Yoongi judge whether the people who could relate to bully in school are right or wrong. School is wrong, society is wrong, parent, teacher, victim and perpetrator are all wrong. But bystander is maybe, at the beginning of song, they haven't explored the side of bystanders. Bystander can be right because they don't relate to bully that much. However, they seem to be wrong because they see the bully happening but don't help, which prompt the severeness of bully indirectly.

(Comment: Bystanders don’t have to take the responsibilities because they’re not involved and they don’t have to be related in the bully cases. Not helping doesn’t have impacts on their future and they’re more comfortable with follow other bystanders because they’re cowards. People are selfish and afraid of taking responsibilities. :( )

Namjoon illustrates the dark side of the school as a battleground, everyone has their own mind to make themselves more powerful by dissing others in the dark. But Namjoon makes himself as a bysytander, he doesn't want to admit the truth of the school as a battleground, he's alone in the opinion so he couldn't stand out and support the victim by himself.

Parents tend to 'brush' the truth of bullying 'off' and they want to avoid the responsibilities as well, because they are too afraid to cause trouble to themselves, or to provoke the hate by the perpetrators which could have possible revenge on them. As a bystander's parents they know how the society is ruled by the authorities, they need to be obedient but not adventurous. As a bystander himself, Namjoon pretends to 'don't care' but he's still innocent and can't bare while others are bullied by the bullies. He can't accept what his parents said easily.

To be a bystander is easy because everyone is bystander. No one wants to offer to help because if he stands out, he will be the odd one, no one wants to be the odd one and by himself. Namjoon here interprets the bystanders as the worst because they know what happen but they don't help, they just simply watch them happen and they wouldn't lose any benefits.

If he tries to support the victim he will be the same situation as the victim is in. So in order to avoid the trouble, Namjoon as the bystander refuses to help.

Heroes are only existed in the fictions and myths. In this modern society, no one wants to be a hero because the cost of being a hero is too high, no one can take the risk. Because of the group conformity, justice is non-existent, everyone only watches out for themselves.

596b2c9681e59_schooloftears.gif.9bfb017b98ab6fae9db3e6c6dfab9540.gif

Edited by namjoon.rm

"Why is there no opposite word of loneliness?
Could it be because people, until they die, have no moments of not being lonely?"

-
Life

"Are we living to die, or are we dying to live."
-
Life

"I’m living in order to understand the world. But why hasn’t the world tried to understand me?"
-
Always

"Kill people with fingers on Twitter
More than a gun, more than a knife"

-
Change

"While you all were teasing the keyboard I fulfilled my dreams."
-
Born Singer

Edited by satoori

Namjoon has such a way with words... :x

Ahh, thanks so much for compiling all these lyrics together. I always like Namjoon's lyricism. It's always a shame that a language barrier will be present when trying to understand his more metaphorical lyrics or those involving wordplay. The closest we can get to is having them being explained to us.

Just an addition to Change:

The classes don't only have to mean school classes, especially with the connection of "SOME visible classes", hinting towards unvisible ones, and "divided spaces", again hinting towards the distance between them. The school system is the first place to show up these differences, that's why he uses it as a base (the best way to experience your socioeconomical status is to have to go through the educational system). So I'd expand it to the class-system in general, the hierarchy, the difference between classes and what they are able to achieve and how easily (rich people have an easier road to success etc.). 

45 minutes ago, Crina said:

Just an addition to Change:

The classes don't only have to mean school classes, especially with the connection of "SOME visible classes", hinting towards unvisible ones, and "divided spaces", again hinting towards the distance between them. The school system is the first place to show up these differences, that's why he uses it as a base (the best way to experience your socioeconomical status is to have to go through the educational system). So I'd expand it to the class-system in general, the hierarchy, the difference between classes and what they are able to achieve and how easily (rich people have an easier road to success etc.). 

spot on! +10000 pts :rapmon9:

2 hours ago, btstryhard said:

Ahh, thanks so much for compiling all these lyrics together. I always like Namjoon's lyricism. It's always a shame that a language barrier will be present when trying to understand his more metaphorical lyrics or those involving wordplay. The closest we can get to is having them being explained to us.

I really like Muish' translations. Her annotations are really useful.

For me I use genius.com recently :) the functions there are amazing I love annotation stuff

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, satoori said:

"Why is there no opposite word of loneliness?
Could it be because people, until they die, have no moments of not being lonely?"

-
Life

This one is particularly haunting. 

Rap Monster - Always

General comment: Namjoon expressed the suicidal thoughts in this song as he had them in the past (in his v live 'RM Hello to 2017' he talked about this song, he said he no longer feel like the one with such thoughts). Overall is a heartbreaking song with lyrics full of self-reflection.

"Loud silence" is "a combination for epigrammatic effect of contradictory or incongruous words". Similar to the usage of living dead, Namjoon uses this oxymoron to illustrate an image of an internally-dead person who is still living in this loud world. The world has misunderstood him and treated him badly that's why he has such suicidal thoughts.

He could no longer treat himself as before, hr misses his original self, he has lost himself because of being misunderstood by the world. And he wishes he could bring back his past self, and he also wishes he could accept now as himself.

(If you can then click on the quote there's some good explanations) Namjoon here plays on homophone of 'dead' and 'dad'. Dad in the 1st and 2nd could represent his role as a leader in BTS and the 3rd time could mean the God. He prays to God and hopes God will understand him.

canvas.png.21c81e9d6d10939c85d1436832d90a8a.png

Edited by namjoon.rm
damn tapatalk the html source is a mess....

On 7/16/2017 at 6:17 AM, namjoon.rm said:

This part I actually see as not just a reference to literal men but also as like the concept of The Man? Like that being a phrase used to refer to the government or like someone in a position of authority... We have to tell our sons and teach our sons because right now they're children and one day they will be men but it's not just that, it's one day they will beTHE men. Like one day they will not just be adults, but will also be in positions of power and authority and we have to teach them to use that influence in the right way. It's another social responsibility ref that comes up in Joon's writing a lot and I love it.

There's a few lyrics I particularly love from Elephant, his feature on Gaeko's latest title track.

"This thing called Destiny puts a price tag on us
Pressing loneliness in our lives forever
If dissonance with life is frequent
We're like the black keys
One thing I'm sure is that you're also a part of the piano
Just sit still and play the black keys"

eng trans by Peachisoda

I think what he's trying to say is that the world pushes us in certain ways, it wants us to be lonely and separate and feeling like we don't fit and that we're not part of something. Like when you're playing the piano but you hit a wrong black key by accident and it sounds wrong. That's us. We feel like those odd black key notes that shouldn't fit. But he's saying that that doesn't matter because we are part of something, we are together. Don't let the world push us around because we all are a part of something, if we're the black keys then we're still part of the piano. But the bit where he says to sit down and play the black keys is what I love the most though because if you do sit down at the piano and play ONLY the black keys it will sound awesome because they make a pentatonic scale. If you hit a wrong black note while you're playing the white keys then maybe it will sound wrong but if you just play the black keys you'll see that it works and it fits together and sounds beautiful. I think it's a lovely metaphor and it makes me happy.

"If you had looked in the mirror this morning
Try to remember what you thought about
And look at yourself again and say
You fight for yourself
You sharpen your blade for yourself"

eng trans by Peachisoda

This is another few lines from further down in the same verse. I don't feel the need to explain this too much I just wanted to quote it because I love it. A lot of this verse is about changing your perspective and not letting the world push you around and instead going out and fighting for yourself and what you want. I like it a lot and it's a great song.