Welcome, Guest!

Register now and join in with other ARMYs! If you have trouble with the validation email please use the Contact Us form to send a message to the admin and we'll manually validate you account! If you have any problems with that form then you can send an email to bangtanbaseforum@gmail.com. We hope you to see you soon!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

haze

BTS lyrics: context & insights

https://muish.wordpress.com/bts-directory-of-ramblings/

^this. her translation posts cover things that international ARMYs may miss out in BTS' songs because we don't speak the language or understand their culture well enough. it's really comprehensive and detailed, and since BTS' music is what the boys are most proud of i'm always wishing i could understand what they're trying to convey better

• literary aspect- accurate translations are hard to come by and hers are one of the best imo; she puts in notes to clarify the connotation/relevance of certain phrases, explains word play (there's a LOT) and even syntax and other korean expressions etc.... revealing the complexity of BTS lyrics beyond the language barrier & overly-simplified youtube lyric videos...
  • context (cultural, political, historical etc.)- we all know BTS writes songs about society, but the amount of references they make to EVERYTHING is insane. their lyrics are really rich in meaning and relevant(?) and i kinda feel like it's wasted on me when i didn't even know what they were talking about orz so yeah this blogger (muish?) specially does translations/analyses for their less straightforward song which i'm really thankful for

also she's translated several songs from the mixtapes. and made notes on my biases (read her "suga tibits", it broke my heart) :v1: i love her blog so much it really helped me appreciate and understand BTS' music better. i've always strongly felt a gap between what i could understand and what the songs probably contained. it would be natural that i'll never be able to appreciate and feel the exact word choices in a song, cultural ideas/references or just the lyricism that would not be the same after being translated but yeah now i feel a little closer~ so glad i found this and hope it'll help other ARMYs out there~:rapmon6:

I love that blog. It's very insightful and informative, specially for the songs because there are many BTS songs that we might think have strange lyrics but they're not and have actually really meaningful messages.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention :armyryan:
I love reading interpretations and having an accurate translation helps out immensely.

Yes, people need to remember to be careful about translations. Muish and Peachisoda do good ones. The first lyric videos that pop up on YT aren't always the most reliable sources. For instance, the Agust D ones were notably bad. We'll never be able to suss out the full meaning of their lyrics and be able to appreciate them as much as we could bc of the language barrier but we can at least try by going to reliable translators/annotators. I'd love to see more of these kinds of blogs pop up since other translation sites have been.  

I've never seen this blog before, excuse me as I wallow in my failure because hOW so thanks for bringing it up here!

I know what I'm going to be doing later today <3