Welcome, Guest!

Register now and join in with other ARMYs! If you have trouble with the validation email (be sure to check your spam/junk folder!) please use the Contact Us form to send a message to the admin and we'll manually validate you account! If you have any problems with that form then you can send an email to bangtanbaseforum@gmail.com. We hope you to see you soon!
CutieJoonie

discussion Has anyone experienced any backlash for liking BTS?

I’d like to hear about other people’s experiences. For instance, I get a lot of slack for liking them because I’m not Korean or can’t speak Korean. I also get weird looks whenever people see my BTS lock screen. People think it’s weird that I like a group that basically isn’t from America and it’s annoying

Edited by CutieJoonie

No, my whole family knows I love BTS and they're honestly just happy that I have something in my life I enjoy so much. It also helps that I'm in my 40s, and everyone in the family has things they geek out over. My 16 year old son just affectionately rolls his eyes every time some new BTS merch arrives at our house, and my 71 year old mom is a huge music buff and loves to talk and text with me about them.

I hope people aren't outright rude to you over this. If you're comfortable enough, I'd call them out over the language thing when so many people enjoy opera, anime, latin music, etc and somehow that's not an issue. Also, tons of huge music artists aren't from America. Adele, Justin Bieber, One Direction, Queen, The Beatles, Enya, etc etc etc. 

I used to from my uncle, last time he did I just came back with "And you don't hear me bitching about what you listen to right? So why are you doing that to me?" 

My family knows I like BTS and still don't really understand it, but my mom would buy me BTS stuff. My brother calls them gay which is typical of him as he calls every boy band I listen to that.

I used to but not as much now, but a lot of the backlash was just liking k-pop in general.
Initially, most of the criticism came from my mom (who I can proudly say is an ARMY now) and sister. 

Once in a while I get the mean comments here and there from my sister - sad to say that I'm used to it but it's been years since I've become an ARMY. I don't criticize her for what she likes and she shouldn't for me either. 

You like what you like and not everyone will like or understand it. So you just keep doing you! 

Yes & no. Many pple IRL i know are just meh & dont really care/react. However being multi stan (esp also being an Exo-L & a gen 2 kpop fan) i definitely end up watching useless fanwars accusing each other (mostly in the form of “xyz 2nd generation band did this before BTS did, i swear im not a hater!” or “just cuz i like this bts song & i dont like this e*o song, doesnt mean i  like bts more than e*o”, etc)

Edited by sungel

Only from other kpop fans online. People I know irl have never been mean about it to me, some of them turned out to be ARMY as well or it just didn't matter to them. My mum did give me some flack for going to their concert but that was more to do with the concert itself, honestly she would have complained about me spending that much money regardless of who the artist was. 

same in my country. But they can't say anything in my phone or in my room. Because they're my special.When my friends listened for the first time, they said things like disgusting, ridiculous.but then they loved it. now they're an army. but they did not mature.:D

No, because all the people who know who BTS are also like BTS and everyone else has no idea who these BTS folks are.

On 05.01.2019 at 11:05, movietvdrama said:

Hayır, çünkü BTS’nin kim olduğunu bilen herkes aynı zamanda BTS’ye benziyor ve diğerlerinin de bu BTS’nin kim olduğunu bilmiyorlar.

yes but there are many bias

never!  In fact, the harshest reaction, if you could even call it harsh, I've ever gotten is "they're not our cup of tea" from my parents. lol But they're very supportive and realize that BTS is what makes me happy.

Other boy bands, on the other hand...I always got comments like "they're gay", "they broke up / are breaking up", and somebody even had the audacity to tell me "We found them dead in some random parking garage".  But this was all in high school, so...

Well, not ALL in high school.  There was this one guy I used to have as a neighbor at my apartment who would give me so much flak over liking One Direction that I considered moving back in with my parents (he claimed to be supportive of boy band lovers, but he obviously wasn't).  Luckily, he eventually moved out to live with his girlfriend (and no, I couldn't believe he even HAD a girlfriend, he was such a loser!), so I can now flaunt 1D without worry!

In your situation, just ignore those assholes.  They just want clout and are jealous because they're not that good-looking.  Like @Maphisto40 said, there are TONS of forighn (not American) artists out there!  Those idiots aren't worth your time AT ALL.

Me and my friends love BTS but one of my friends hate BTS she said if she knew them she would kill them and she said that she wishes that they would get in a plane crash  also my mom and my sister hates them too and every time I talk about them they would get annoyed and they would say "BTS stands for boys that suck" and it just makes me mad and now whenever I catch antis talking shit about them I get all defensive and me and my friend call it "ARMY MODE" and yeah why do people hate BTS so much for no reason maybe they're jealous of them who knows 

IGNORE THIS POST

Edited by 👑JIMINS_QUEEN👑

Me and my friends love BTS but one of my friends hate BTS she said if she knew them she would kill them and she said that she wishes that they would get in a plane crash also my mom and my sister hates them too and every time I talk about them they would get annoyed and they would say "BTS stands for boys that suck" and it just makes me mad and now whenever I catch antis talking shit about them I get all defensive and me and my friend call it "ARMY MODE" and yeah why do people hate BTS so much for no reason maybe they're jealous of them who knows but I just know that it needs to stop people need to stop hating on BTS for no reason (And ignore the first post I put because I forgot to turn on the "Notify me of replies" thing and I don't know how to fix it so yeah)

Yes, all the time :P mostly because I'm a guy, and people around here think that it's weird to listen to K-Pop if you are a guy. 

I'm really shy and I got bullied a lot in school, and one time I was walking home and listening to my iPod and someone came behind me and grabbed it and that I had it on one of their songs and he was like "BTS? You like those ching-chongs?!" and everyone called me fag, etc. I was also told that I was just being trendy and liked them because they blew up on the scene and supposedly everyone likes them.

I listened to K-Pop here and there since 2009 but my family (or anyone) didn't really know or care. It wasn't until BTS got popular in America that my family was like "you like those guys too? But you're a guy!" I haven't met another guy who likes them but I have no problem admitting what I like. People at school never thought i was cool anyway, so I have nothing to lose LOL but I like how I feel when I listen to their music. 

I got a handful of backlash. I never got teased about listening to Korean or any Asian music, since I'm Asian myself, but I've had the problem of people calling them girly and such. A while back, someone I knew started playing DNA in public. Now I heard a group of people laughing at it and calling BTS girly, and it really stuck with me. They noticed that I was an ARMY and started talking behind my back. The person who wanted to play DNA was also talked about and it kind of hurt to see those people making fun of them. BTS work extremely hard and have helped so many people through hard times, and it saddens me to know that antis misjudge them that badly.

I haven't had any extremely bad reactions, mostly just my parents poking fun a little by saying they're "gay" and "look like girls". Not many people know that I'm actually really into BTS which is understandable because I haven't been a fan for a long time so I think people are only just starting to know? My parents don't have bad intentions, I guess they find it amusing? It's not like they'll stop me from getting merch, they're usually a bit weird at first when I get into a band but eventually they get used to it and even get me merch as gifts sometimes, so that'd be cool. Of course what they're saying is pretty ignorant and judgemental but they're just trying to embarrass me, haha.

As for antis, I haven't actually been attacked (yet). Man, like, I don't mind if people don't like BTS' music but it crosses the line when they start expressing hate towards them despite them doing nothing wrong. The ignorant comments annoy me too, especially when they start attacking BTS without knowing anything about them and when they express hate towards innocent ARMYs just for supporting BTS. I will never understand the logic behind hating them so much. "But other groups/artists deserve the spotlight too!!" and yes, they will get their chance. BTS has started to grow rapidly in the past couple of years, this is their time. There are plenty of other artists who get masses of recognition and they aren't taking away from anyone else. Hell, they deserve every ounce of love and support they get, just give them a chance.

My boyfriend knows where he stand when it comes to my relationship with BTS and he fully supports the emotional connection that I have to them. If he didn't i don't think we would be together. I know there are things in his life that I cannot stand but I support him and go and do those things with him because they bring him joy just like BTS brings joy to me :) 

My friends think I’m crazy and stupid, my family don’t understand and both consistently criticise me, Kpop and BTS. It really gets to me that they can like whatever they want but I can’t because it’s Kpop. They don’t realise how much it hurts me.

plus my brother is basically an Anti, he spent an hour today telling me how BTS aren’t that popular, how trash they are and that they are too girly.

Edited by INSFIRED_byBTS

YES! My friends think I am nuts. They also don't understand the deep rooted love that I have for the boys. My sister and I are ARMY and my mom never got it until we sat her down and explained and she really listened. Now my mom is an army  at (age 57) (dad is too because he doesn't have a choice) and she has two daughters me (24) and sister (22) who are armies as well. one big army family lol