• Announcements

• jin

Please Disable Adblock :)   03/29/2017

details
    • jin

New Theme Option!   04/20/2017

The amazing @Indirianna has been working on another theme option and it's finally done! To select this theme (or any of BBase's theme options) scroll down to the bottom of the screen where you will see "Theme." Click on that and then select the theme you want to use. Step 1: Step 2:
MinSugaGenius

Books Books Books!!!

39 posts in this topic

Hi!! here

Soooo....2016 is ending, a new year is just around the corner, so I'm looking for some book recommendations for this new year!

Let's share our love of reading!  ヽ( ⌒o⌒)人(⌒-⌒ )ノ

Resultado de imagen para book mountain gif

Thanks for your recommendations!

N out!

Edited by MinSugaGenius

What genres do you like?

I am an American/British literature dweeb

10 minutes ago, Poppy said:

What genres do you like?

I am an American/British literature dweeb

Actually I'm open to any genre but I have to admit that I love Mystery & Crime ones

Lol thanks for this thread. I too am looking for some more books to read for this new year. 
I am currently reading Stephen King's The Stand and it's really nice so far ZFy2ROd.gif

2 minutes ago, Israa said:

Lol thanks for this thread. I too am looking for some more books to read for this new year. 
I am currently reading Stephen King's The Stand and it's really nice so far ZFy2ROd.gif

No prob! Booklovers unite!

@MinSugaGenius

I Recommend

Authors Charles Dickens (tale of two cities)

Mark Twain- Adventures of Huckleberry Fin

Uncle Tom's cabin and Frankinstein are both 2 of my faves

Victor Hugo was  a French novelist Hunchback of Notre Dame and Les Miserable

Upton Singclaire- the jungle

I also love Steven King- The tommyknockers, pet semetary, The Dome, The Stand, The Shinning, Green Mile

Arthur Miller-the Crucible

Ayn Ryand- The Fountain Head  

Flowers of Algernon is also a good one 

Just to name a few

Edited by Poppy

This is my first post so I don't know if im doing it right, but I'd recommend:

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith a.k.a J. K. Rowling

Tuesday with Morrie - Mitch Albom

Black Beauty - Anna Sewell

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

A  Rose for Emily - William Faulkner (a little weird but its far different from the other books I've ever read)

I love books too, so please recommend me some books too, especially classics:) 

img_6134.gif

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Poppy said:

@MinSugaGenius

I Recommend

I also love Steven King- The tommyknockers, pet semetary, The Dome, The Stand, The Shinning, Green Mile

Just to name a few

Spoiler
1 hour ago, blueyart said:

A  Rose for Emily - William Faulkner (a little weird but its far different from the other books I've ever read)

img_6134.gif

Thanks for your recommendations!

Let's keep this thread alive so everybody  can share! jimin9:

Mario Puzo: "The Godfather" and "The last Don" (but honestly everything from this man is amazing)

The name of the rose - Umberto Eco

From Bram Stoker not Dracula (even tho it's really good) but his short stories are amazing and really creepy.

Algernon Blackwood is also a great short story writer.

2 hours ago, suga's baby face said:

Mario Puzo: "The Godfather" and "The last Don" (but honestly everything from this man is amazing)

The name of the rose - Umberto Eco

From Bram Stoker not Dracula (even tho it's really good) but his short stories are amazing and really creepy.

Algernon Blackwood is also a great short story writer.

Huumm I've never heard of those autors. It makes me excited when I see something new

It's cool to meet people with different point of view

I'll make sure to check some of your recommendations.

Thank you soooo much! :$:$

Oh some of these sound interesting. 

I've personally have always enjoyed:

• Perks of being a wallflower
  • It's kind of a funny story

Warning though: These books both mention some heavy stuff!!

let's not forget Demian by Hermann Hesse, :rapmon2:, I haven't been able to read it yet....:(

4 hours ago, Trashley said:

Oh some of these sound interesting. 

I've personally have always enjoyed:

• Perks of being a wallflower
  • It's kind of a funny story

Warning though: These books both mention some heavy stuff!!

I've already read Perks of being a wallflower I enjoyed it jimin9:

2 hours ago, blueyart said:

let's not forget Demian by Hermann Hesse, :rapmon2:, I haven't been able to read it yet....:(

Yeah since they mentioned it,  this book has been on my "To read" list :D

On 12/28/2016 at 8:01 AM, blueyart said:

I'd actually just finished reading The Cuckoo's Calling, and wanted to continue the series until I realized I could only find the third book and not the second in my local bookstores :(

I haven't heard of A Rose for Emily though, so thank you for that recommendation!

On 12/28/2016 at 7:03 AM, Poppy said:

I Recommend

Spoiler

Just to name a few

I second all of these too! Charles Dickens is a bit of a hit-or-miss with me, but I love some of his books.

The most recent book I've read is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, but it's such a long book and I've heard so many mixed reviews about it. I personally really liked it, though.

I've also been keeping up with Jeffery Deaver's books (The Lincoln Rhyme and Kathryn Dance series) and Karin Slaughter (Will Trent and Grant series, though I've only read the former). Both authors focus on murder mysteries and crime, so @MinSugaGenius, maybe you've heard of them?

5 hours ago, KookieMochi said:

I'd actually just finished reading The Cuckoo's Calling, and wanted to continue the series until I realized I could only find the third book and not the second in my local bookstores :(

I haven't heard of A Rose for Emily though, so thank you for that recommendation!

I second all of these too! Charles Dickens is a bit of a hit-or-miss with me, but I love some of his books.

The most recent book I've read is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, but it's such a long book and I've heard so many mixed reviews about it. I personally really liked it, though.

I've also been keeping up with Jeffery Deaver's books (The Lincoln Rhyme and Kathryn Dance series) and Karin Slaughter (Will Trent and Grant series, though I've only read the former). Both authors focus on murder mysteries and crime, so @MinSugaGenius, maybe you've heard of them?

A Rose for Emily is actually more like a novella. its a very short story which you can find online. tbh, its a little weird - to others may be creepy - so you might not like it.

http://resources.mhs.vic.edu.au/creating/downloads/A_Rose_for_Emily.pdf

13 minutes ago, blueyart said:

A Rose for Emily is actually more like a novella. its a very short story which you can find online. tbh, its a little weird - to others may be creepy - so you might not like it.

http://resources.mhs.vic.edu.au/creating/downloads/A_Rose_for_Emily.pdf

I read it in a very short amount of time- and then had to read it again, and then once more. I don't know if I can say I liked it, but it was interesting and probably not as creepy as it should've been, except that I'm quite familiar with a lot of Gothic (and Southern Gothic, for that matter) writings, and this was actually pretty neat. You weren't kidding about short, though, but there's so much to discuss about it that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Spoilers below, because I need someone to discuss it with ;-;

Spoiler

Emily's pretty messed up though, and I completely understand the title. If I'm interpreting this right, the arsenic she buys- she killed Homer with it, didn't she? Homer, who probably really liked her as a friend, but was still probably homosexual, and she killed him. And then proceeded to lie with his dead body in bed right up until her hair turned iron-grey and she died. Locked him up in that room upstairs, even as she gave painting lessons to all those children.

The saddest, or perhaps the creepiest, depending on how you look at it, is how the townspeople seemed to already know- or at least, they had figured it out by the time they knocked that door down. They sent those men to spread lime around the house to get rid of some foul stench, and, I mean, if that didn't already clue someone in I don't know what would. And then the next generation, the painting children who'd grown up to be parents, they didn't send their children over anymore. Because even though Emily had become sort of part of the town's legacy, that they had come to care for her (perhaps even as a family pet of sorts, if you get what I mean), and her story was so widely known and passed down that arresting her was out of the question, they couldn't quite ignore the fact that she did, you know, sort of kill this well-liked guy she seemed to want to marry.

And then her death had come as a surprise, and we never really did hear from the 'Negro' (not sure if this term was being used derogatorily, and considering the time period it was written, perhaps it was) guy who had come and gone and was maybe even a housekeeper of sorts to her, and you have to wonder what else she'd been up to all that time spent away from the public.

Because that's the point of view we're getting- we're part of the townspeople and learn things about her as they do. Like I said, interesting.

And my interpretation might very well be wrong, but that was some fun speculation anyway. 

Thanks for the rec! That was some twenty minutes of reading and speculation well-spent, I think.

1 hour ago, KookieMochi said:

I read it in a very short amount of time- and then had to read it again, and then once more. I don't know if I can say I liked it, but it was interesting and probably not as creepy as it should've been, except that I'm quite familiar with a lot of Gothic (and Southern Gothic, for that matter) writings, and this was actually pretty neat. You weren't kidding about short, though, but there's so much to discuss about it that I'm not even sure where to begin.

Spoilers below, because I need someone to discuss it with ;-;

Hide contents

Emily's pretty messed up though, and I completely understand the title. If I'm interpreting this right, the arsenic she buys- she killed Homer with it, didn't she? Homer, who probably really liked her as a friend, but was still probably homosexual, and she killed him. And then proceeded to lie with his dead body in bed right up until her hair turned iron-grey and she died. Locked him up in that room upstairs, even as she gave painting lessons to all those children.

The saddest, or perhaps the creepiest, depending on how you look at it, is how the townspeople seemed to already know- or at least, they had figured it out by the time they knocked that door down. They sent those men to spread lime around the house to get rid of some foul stench, and, I mean, if that didn't already clue someone in I don't know what would. And then the next generation, the painting children who'd grown up to be parents, they didn't send their children over anymore. Because even though Emily had become sort of part of the town's legacy, that they had come to care for her (perhaps even as a family pet of sorts, if you get what I mean), and her story was so widely known and passed down that arresting her was out of the question, they couldn't quite ignore the fact that she did, you know, sort of kill this well-liked guy she seemed to want to marry.

And then her death had come as a surprise, and we never really did hear from the 'Negro' (not sure if this term was being used derogatorily, and considering the time period it was written, perhaps it was) guy who had come and gone and was maybe even a housekeeper of sorts to her, and you have to wonder what else she'd been up to all that time spent away from the public.

Because that's the point of view we're getting- we're part of the townspeople and learn things about her as they do. Like I said, interesting.

And my interpretation might very well be wrong, but that was some fun speculation anyway. 

Thanks for the rec! That was some twenty minutes of reading and speculation well-spent, I think.

yass, i have to agree with you, because i read that during the night and having not read classics or gothic in a while, i didn't really understand the language hence i didn't reread it for like the third time, but im intending to read it again in the future. It's actually still quite short, considering it takes less than half an hour to read, which is also another reason why i recommended it.

This story was actually recommended to me by another person online due to a comment i made in reference to manga. So this story was really peculiar, I would agree with you that I probably didn't like the story but it truly is interesting compared to many storys I've read due to to the writing style and the plot itself.

To summarise, this story is really interesting and I would recommend it to people who would like a peculiar story that involves love and death which is enexplicably linked.

BTW, its so nice to be able to see people who reads and be able to discuss with a community. lets keep this thread alive T_T

Edited by blueyart

On 12/28/2016 at 3:24 PM, MinSugaGenius said:

I've already read Perks of being a wallflower I enjoyed it jimin9:

Yeah since they mentioned it,  this book has been on my "To read" list :D

Couldn't finish Perks of being a wallflower due to the writing style, I wonder if anybody can give me any good points to continue that book again.

gonna make it my goal to finish that Demian book by 2017, at least first half of 2017. I wish i could go back to secondary school days when they made us read books, it was one of my most favourite times compared to others.:suga3:

13 hours ago, KookieMochi said:

I've heard of  The Will Trent series thanks to a cousin of mine but I've never been able to buy the books

I'll take note of the other books you mentioned, Thanks!:$

6 hours ago, blueyart said:

Couldn't finish Perks of being a wallflower due to the writing style, I wonder if anybody can give me any good points to continue that book again.

gonna make it my goal to finish that Demian book by 2017, at least first half of 2017. I wish i could go back to secondary school days when they made us read books, it was one of my most favourite times compared to others.:suga3:

I wish they would force me to read books now (╯︵╰,) but they don't do that in my school...They say "Read books kiddos" but we never really discuss nothing about that, sooo I'm alone when it comes to that.

Talking about the book, I could say that I enjoyed it by the way that I felt when I read it 

I felt involved in the life of this character and how it related to my own life 

And the book has a lot of wonderful quotes that left me thinking

But if you don't like epistolary or books like journals, it wouldn't be a book for you

I reccomend it tho!:$

6 hours ago, blueyart said:

BTW, its so nice to be able to see people who reads and be able to discuss with a community. lets keep this thread alive T_T

Yeah I love not only to disscus but also seeing others doing it!

23 minutes ago, MinSugaGenius said:

I've heard of  The Will Trent series thanks to a cousin of mine but I've never been able to buy the books

I'll take note of the other books you mentioned, Thanks!:$

I wish they would force me to read books now (╯︵╰,) but they don't do that in my school...They say "Read books kiddos" but we never really discuss nothing about that, sooo I'm alone when it comes to that.

Talking about the book, I could say that I enjoyed it by the way that I felt when I read it 

I felt involved in the life of this character and how it related to my own life 

And the book has a lot of wonderful quotes that left me thinking

But if you don't like epistolary or books like journals, it wouldn't be a book for you

I reccomend it tho!:$

Yeah I love not only to disscus but also seeing others doing it!

didn't you take the literature subject? my class had to read animal farm by george owell and sing to the dawn by minfong ho it was a good read tbh i didn't even look forward to these two book at first until like 2-3 chapters in?

i think it would be nice to keep a series of quotes written by people, or stated in books, thought about doing this but never found the chance to do it, too lazy heh. 

we need a room full of books, filled with the smell of em in a sunlit room, with people around in the room to hold a book discussion party. although this forum is our version by ARMYs for ARMYs:armyryan: