• Announcements

    • jin

      Please Disable Adblock :)   03/29/2017

      details
    • jin

      New Theme Option!   04/20/2017

      The amazing @Indirianna has been working on another theme option and it's finally done! To select this theme (or any of BBase's theme options) scroll down to the bottom of the screen where you will see "Theme." Click on that and then select the theme you want to use. Step 1: Step 2:
MinSugaGenius

Books Books Books!!!

39 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, blueyart said:

didn't you take the literature subject? my class had to read animal farm by george owell and sing to the dawn by minfong ho it was a good read tbh i didn't even look forward to these two book at first until like 2-3 chapters in?

 

i think it would be nice to keep a series of quotes written by people, or stated in books, thought about doing this but never found the chance to do it, too lazy heh. 

we need a room full of books, filled with the smell of em in a sunlit room, with people around in the room to hold a book discussion party. although this forum is our version by ARMYs for ARMYs:armyryan:

School in my country is a little different from another schools...we don't have literature subject:( we just have a subject called "Language and Communication"  and sometimes we read little things like fables and little books but it's not the same. We don't share the love of books in my school so is sad.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blueyart said:

didn't you take the literature subject? my class had to read animal farm by george owell and sing to the dawn by minfong ho it was a good read tbh i didn't even look forward to these two book at first until like 2-3 chapters in?

i think it would be nice to keep a series of quotes written by people, or stated in books, thought about doing this but never found the chance to do it, too lazy heh. 

we need a room full of books, filled with the smell of em in a sunlit room, with people around in the room to hold a book discussion party. although this forum is our version by ARMYs for ARMYs:armyryan:

I took the Extension Literature class for English, and it's literally books upon books upon Shakespeare books, and it's been fun. I need to thank you again, because I'd honestly forgotten about Sing To The Dawn, but I loved that book a lot. We had to read that in class as well, but I got my own copy and I'd read it ahead and everything; it was good. I don't know if I'd read that sort of book now (or choose it from a pile), but I was really glad it was a mandatory thing in class to read, else I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

I second that thought about the bookroom. I'm in a situation wherein the people I'm around don't exactly read a lot, and the few that do I either can't get a hold of sometimes (busy with friends or school or work or what have you), or aren't up for much discussion in general. It's a bit depressing, honestly.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-double post, please ignore ^^-

Edited by KookieMochi
posted twice, don't know why tbh
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MinSugaGenius said:

School in my country is a little different from another schools...we don't have literature subject:( we just have a subject called "Language and Communication"  and sometimes we read little things like fables and little books but it's not the same. We don't share the love of books in my school so is sad.

ahhhhhh, thats okay, we share it here. MUAHAHAHAAH, but i think being able to read just some of those during those times is a blessing because they widen our perspective and let us know that such storys exist, forced or voluntary. my school too, its just we were forced to read to foster the improvement of language and reading.

15 hours ago, KookieMochi said:

I took the Extension Literature class for English, and it's literally books upon books upon Shakespeare books, and it's been fun. I need to thank you again, because I'd honestly forgotten about Sing To The Dawn, but I loved that book a lot. We had to read that in class as well, but I got my own copy and I'd read it ahead and everything; it was good. I don't know if I'd read that sort of book now (or choose it from a pile), but I was really glad it was a mandatory thing in class to read, else I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

I second that thought about the bookroom. I'm in a situation wherein the people I'm around don't exactly read a lot, and the few that do I either can't get a hold of sometimes (busy with friends or school or work or what have you), or aren't up for much discussion in general. It's a bit depressing, honestly.

Wow, mostly upon shakespeare books? Thats tough, i think. since the way they speak is different. I read a bit of romeo and juliet, couldn't understand the language and had to stop to pick up another book for an assignment. Hurhur. That's really nice, to be able to still buy your own copy even after reading it. Don't think i could have done that, since i probably wouldn't touch it again unless i really like it. Plus, there's libraries around.:x Libraries are like a sanctuary

I really have to agree with you about that. There rally aren't just many people to talk about with. I talked about a book once with a classmate who asked me to recommend her a book. For reason after that, she was laughing, no idea why. Lol, that scene really stuck in mind after that, and it's not easy to strike up a conversation about books now:(, except my sister, for i'm glad we share the love of books.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, blueyart said:

Wow, mostly upon shakespeare books? Thats tough, i think. since the way they speak is different. I read a bit of romeo and juliet, couldn't understand the language and had to stop to pick up another book for an assignment. Hurhur.

I really have to agree with you about that. There rally aren't just many people to talk about with. I talked about a book once with a classmate who asked me to recommend her a book. For reason after that, she was laughing, no idea why. Lol, that scene really stuck in mind after that, and it's not easy to strike up a conversation about books now:(, except my sister, for i'm glad we share the love of books.

I happen to be in the apparently small minority that actually like Shakespeare, ahaha. I admit I actually didn't like Romeo and Juliet, though. Probably one of the only plays of his that I've read and never really cared for :(

Hey, that's what this forum's for, you know. If you ever feel like just popping in and ranting about any odd book, chances are someone's read it or would want to read it, and that's where the discussion can start. I'm not one for recommending (too many books, too many genres, young and old- I wouldn't know where to start), but I'm always up for just talking about the little things. (Just to say, that classmate was a tad rude. Laughing is fine, but the timing was... :/)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2016 at 3:24 AM, blueyart said:

A Rose for Emily is actually more like a novella. its a very short story which you can find online. tbh, its a little weird - to others may be creepy - so you might not like it.

http://resources.mhs.vic.edu.au/creating/downloads/A_Rose_for_Emily.pdf

Thanks for the link I'm going to read it tomorrow morning since my brain can't read in english at 2AM. (I just read weird or creepy and I'm instantly interested.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KookieMochi said:

I happen to be in the apparently small minority that actually like Shakespeare, ahaha. I admit I actually didn't like Romeo and Juliet, though. Probably one of the only plays of his that I've read and never really cared for :(

Hey, that's what this forum's for, you know. If you ever feel like just popping in and ranting about any odd book, chances are someone's read it or would want to read it, and that's where the discussion can start. I'm not one for recommending (too many books, too many genres, young and old- I wouldn't know where to start), but I'm always up for just talking about the little things. (Just to say, that classmate was a tad rude. Laughing is fine, but the timing was... :/)

 

is there any of his works that you would recommend for me to start, because there's just so many! I wanted to try macbeth, but heard its kinda difficult for people who are starting out shakespeare. i think its okay even if you wouldn't know where to start, just pick one that you love. because the blurbs and recommendations are there to convince us that these books are good reads. i'm afraid too but i don't want people to miss out on good books to read, even if only 1 out of 10 ends up reading the book :) (note: that classmate probably laughed because i said so much about the book, but i don't really care now about her laughing. maybe she didn't like the book heh)

another book i'd recommend to you guys is Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. this book talks a lot about individuality and its tone is generally dark, and while I was reading it, i was really frustrated but it's good.  It really gets your imagination going due to the way he describes things. Btw, theres some heavy stuff mentioned.

and while off topic, I would like to recommend a certain manga because lets not limit it to books. please read Gakuen Alice(doubt you will regret it), feels is really strong. VERY VERY STRONG, i cried after reading it the second time. or if manga's not your choice, then 1. Children of the Red King series or 2. Chronicles of the Red King by Jenny Nimmo (although its  mainly targeted for children aged below 13. they both have a very similar setting whereby they are both magically endowed in a school setting. somewhat the feels of Harry Potter?)

HALP, this is what happens when theres a forum for books......i can't stop.:sailormoni:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueyart said:

is there any of his works that you would recommend for me to start, because there's just so many! I wanted to try macbeth, but heard its kinda difficult for people who are starting out shakespeare. i think its okay even if you wouldn't know where to start, just pick one that you love. because the blurbs and recommendations are there to convince us that these books are good reads. i'm afraid too but i don't want people to miss out on good books to read, even if only 1 out of 10 ends up reading the book :) (note: that classmate probably laughed because i said so much about the book, but i don't really care now about her laughing. maybe she didn't like the book heh)

another book i'd recommend to you guys is Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. this book talks a lot about individuality and its tone is generally dark, and while I was reading it, i was really frustrated but it's good.  It really gets your imagination going due to the way he describes things. Btw, theres some heavy stuff mentioned.

and while off topic, I would like to recommend a certain manga because lets not limit it to books. please read Gakuen Alice(doubt you will regret it), feels is really strong. VERY VERY STRONG, i cried after reading it the second time. or if manga's not your choice, then 1. Children of the Red King series or 2. Chronicles of the Red King by Jenny Nimmo (although its  mainly targeted for children aged below 13. they both have a very similar setting whereby they are both magically endowed in a school setting. somewhat the feels of Harry Potter?)

HALP, this is what happens when theres a forum for books......i can't stop.:sailormoni:

I can see how Macbeth might be difficult, but honestly I actually liked it a lot? Maybe I'm just one for tragedies and tragic heroes I can simultaneously love and hate, idk. Othello was pretty chaotic, so maybe don't start with that? xD And if you're looking for anything lighthearted, A Midsummer Night's Dream okay on the comedy front. Now that I think about it, there really is a lot O.o

I've read a lot of Haruki Murakami's works, actually! Namjoon recommended 1Q84 and I thought it was pretty interesting, but I'd read A Wild Sheep Chase before, and that was... interesting, to say the least. There's also The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, if you've the time, though it's a bit different.

Gakuen Alice was a ride and half, though! I don't know if I would read it over again (but now that I think about it, I sure do feel like it), but it was just such a fun story? (Until it got really dark towards the end and then well o.O but even then it was fun.) Characters like Mikan usually get on my nerves pretty quickly, but I grew to like her a lot as it went.

Thanks for the Red King rec! I don't mind reading books targeted at younger audiences if they're written well. I'm pretty sure a book like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is considered a children's book, but I'd read it last week because I found it in the library, lol. (Then again this is coming from someone who'd read the Artemis Fowl and Alex Rider series on whim a few years back because I got bored, so you really oughtn't ask me for recommendations because I have no limits ahaha)

Please, do keep going and recommending whatever comes up in your mind, I need new stuff to read! 

Edited by KookieMochi
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

seems like namjoon may be reading some book thats deep again. i have no idea what that book above is though. that book seems to be good though, altho the reviews don't say much and there isn't much reviews i was able to find.

Edited by blueyart
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2017 at 2:27 PM, blueyart said:

seems like namjoon may be reading some book thats deep again. i have no idea what that book above is though. that book seems to be good though, altho the reviews don't say much and there isn't much reviews i was able to find.

This is the synopsis of the book

An international TED Talk speaker, Tony Porter challenges manhood and male socialization, which he defines as the “man box.”

Tony Porter works closely with the NFL, the NBA, the MLB, the US military, colleges, universities, and numerous other organizations to prevent violence against women and girls by promoting healthy, respectful manhood. Now, in Breaking Out of the “Man Box” Porter’s message is directed at all men.

This book tackles the collective socialization of manhood and provides an in-depth look at the experiences of boys and men. In an effort to understand the many aspects of “what it means to be a man,” Porter suggests the topic is worthy of being rethought, challenged, and even redefined. This book will help men—fathers, husbands, brothers, coworkers, etc.—unpack and correct those realities.

Breaking Out of the “Man Box” boldly exposes the connection between male socialization and the quest to end violence against women and girls. Porter provides an honest and transformative experience, empowering men to create a world where men and boys are loving and respectful—and a human race where women and girls are valued and safe. On the heels of national movements and initiatives such as the NFL’s NoMore.org, this book provides men with the knowledge and understanding to explore how to create that world."

 

I haven't read it but it sound interesting and the fact that he's educating himself on this matter makes me so proud. 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

the other book titile i told you guys i didn't know about, props to fans for finding it, they are so amazing

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2017 at 6:30 AM, blueyart said:
the other book titile i told you guys i didn't know about, props to fans for finding it, they are so amazing

Someone ought to start an RM Book Recs thread. He seems to read a lot of interesting stuff, and I'm pretty sure there's tons I haven't read or even seen yet.

I always wonder how he finds all this stuff.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is  what I recommend reading (based on what I've been reading these past two months.)

  • Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.
  • Three short stories written by Daphne Du Maurier: The Apple Tree, Kiss Me Again Stranger and The Old Man.
  • Kiss Kiss and Someone Like You by Roald Dahl. These two books are collections of short stories with twists. 
  • The manga Doubt by Yoshiki Tonigai. Only read the two first volumes, but so far, so good.
  • Death Is My Trade by Robert Merle

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How have I missed this thread!? Gotta rec some of my faves and some books I learned a lot from:

 

Humor:

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome ( warning: may cause laughing out loud)

The Egg and I by Betty McDonald

Historical Fiction:

The Persian Boy by Mary Renault ( basically my favorite book ever)

Animal/ Feel good:

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Fantasy:

Wraeththu trilogy and Wraeththu Histories trilogy by Storm Constantine (this is not for everyone but it's so much more than I thought from the description and so imaginative, I've never read anything like it)

YA Fantasy:

Song of the Lioness quartet by Tamara Pierce. (Alanna was my teenage heroine)

Mossflower and Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques ( prepare to cry for MtW)

SciFi:

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Non-Fiction:

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

Deuling Neurosurgeons by Sam Kean

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

Ok I'll stop. For now ٩( 'ω' )و

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If there are any shippers out there or fans of slash, m/m, yaoi or whatever you call it, and you like fantasy, I've gotta rec

Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price, a trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.

I  personally have issues with Mercedes Lackey's anti-fanfiction sentiments, but I can't deny I love these books, and I love the main character a lot

Edited by Missgracie842
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 4:59 AM, Missgracie842 said:

How have I missed this thread!? Gotta rec some of my faves and some books I learned a lot from:

 

Humor:

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome ( warning: may cause laughing out loud)

The Egg and I by Betty McDonald

Historical Fiction:

The Persian Boy by Mary Renault ( basically my favorite book ever)

Animal/ Feel good:

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot

Fantasy:

Wraeththu trilogy and Wraeththu Histories trilogy by Storm Constantine (this is not for everyone but it's so much more than I thought from the description and so imaginative, I've never read anything like it)

YA Fantasy:

Song of the Lioness quartet by Tamara Pierce. (Alanna was my teenage heroine)

Mossflower and Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques ( prepare to cry for MtW)

SciFi:

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Non-Fiction:

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

Deuling Neurosurgeons by Sam Kean

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

Ok I'll stop. For now ٩( 'ω' )و

18 hours ago, Missgracie842 said:

If there are any shippers out there or fans of slash, m/m, yaoi or whatever you call it, and you like fantasy, I've gotta rec

Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price, a trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.

I  personally have issues with Mercedes Lackey's anti-fanfiction sentiments, but I can't deny I love these books, and I love the main character a lot

I've never even heard of half of these (though I may have read one or two long before), so this was really welcome! Thank you for sharing, I'll see to looking for these when I'm out and about :")

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Missgracie842 thanks for all the rec. out of all i only read 2 of them (i liked The Persian Boy too :jhope7:) i'll especially check the humor ones because i feel i never read books like that.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big brother brought home some novels and I ended up reading them lol.

I like Gregor the Overlander series - Suzanne Collins (the same author as The Hungergames)

As well as The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not that much of a reader but i can suggest some stuff, it will probably be really generic lol

The Hunger Games Trilogy was my first set of books that i read

The 5 books from Game of Thrones - Song of Ice and Fire

Dan Brown - Inferno    Really liked this one

The classic Lord of the Rings lol... I need to read more what was this generic list :jungkook6:

I would suggest more but this ones i dont think you would find it in english since its written by South American writers so all of them are in Spanish

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now